Tuesday, January 17, 2006

So...auspicious beginnings....I would hesitate to say that I have always been a big writer. At certain points in my life I have been big while at others I have been a writer but rarely the combination of the two. Why the tourist trap? Well, it has to do with a feeling of never having truly mastered anything in my young life. While I recognize that my life is indeed still young, I think that I should have at least made a concession toward that grand o,ld 1950's ideal of "direction." Of course, the answer to that is completely subjective. to a dung beetle I have things pretty good. I'm well fed and sheltered with a readily accessible pile of poop any time I may need it. Which is not often. I mean, unless you like that, in which case, i can get to it very quickly. By the way, who are you anyway?
So, if this is a journalistic endeavor then maybe I could do with a little personal connections. My friend Tom was in from San Fran this weekend. We had a lengthy discussion on his last night here. He left NYC for greener pastures. Or, at least, different ones. Did he find it? Short answer: No. Long answer: Maybe. You see, he believes that there is much more to experience out there before he decides upon ultimately settling here. I understand that. He is a chef and NYC is the epicenter of American haute cuisine. He would not want to be any other place. I asked him about giving it all up. He said, when you look away from the path you are on, what do you see? I said ' I don't see anything.' He said ' exactly.' While that is completely mystifying and vaguely Miyagi-ish I would venture that aside form the obvious deterministic implications of the statement he was saying that we are so embroiled in our day to day game of cosmic Yahtzee that we are unable to look beyond what it is we have made for ourselves.
I would like to combat the relatively depressing nature of that statement by saying that the attempt at higher thought or ambition seems to be present in many members of my generation. That sentiment is only overturned by our desire to be retired as early as possible. I have known 3 people on unemployment in the past 8 months. All healthy, intelligent, job deserving folks. You figure it out.
Don't know if that was a good opening or not,but I think we raised some good points. Stuff we can get back to later if we have to. Which we don't. But we will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home