Friday, February 24, 2006

Listening to Good To Me by Irma Thomas

Man-oh-man Irma Thomas is just the right thing sometimes. So.....LA......judgement is still in progress. The jury is out. I am not actively looking for something to complain about but there are some things that are what everybody complains about. The car situation for one. That's probably the worst. I'm not gonna get into it at this point. In half an hour I will be spirited off to a mansion where I will have to set up a high end bar, restaurant, etc. That should be interesting. So far I have lounged by a pool, drank too many beers, ate an incredibly large hamburger at a chain called "Island Burger" and watched some pretty crappy hotel TV. I also got to see my best friend for a couple hours, hang out with a director friend, and lounge around and talk about recent films. It all sounds so "LA" to me. Which is funny - because I have never been here before. I think it's interesting that once we are informed about a place we decide how it is stigmatized. I.E. Paris=romance, Texas = autonomy, LA = sheer solipsism. Without ever really having lived in these places we just kind of bandwagon the entire experience. Which is not to say these experiences are false, which just have to be careful about how we feel or WHAT we feel I suppose. I think the same goes for relationships. After the first time we fall in love we are constantly looking for the same ground we covered before. The familiar markings, paths, trees, hillsides of the landscape that made us feel so impassioned originally. But shouldn't every great love, if we are capable of more than one, be more uncharted territory? Shouldn't each person we grant our heart do show us something different about love, life, ourselves? I don't know. It sounds so difficult, and nearly impossible to expect someone to completely turn your world around. I would like to believe that it could happen. Hope all is well in New York. I miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home