Wednesday, March 29, 2006


Listening To (I got a) Stomach Ache by Junior Wells

It is almost opening day. ESPN is showing a pre-season game between the Pirates and the Red Sox. Do you want to know what it is about baseball that men love? Well, at least for me, it has to do with a continual dialogue that goes on with other men, strangers, and fans worldwide. There is a chance to simply bond with other guys about bullshit. There is also a chance to connect with family members that otherwise may not have been open to you. I can't tell you how many times I have talked baseball when I have found myself at a loss for words at a family gathering. And I don't even want to talk about what it is like to watch a game at Fenway Park. It is the greatest park in baseball. To walk up the hall toward the field is this great moment. I mean, you are right on the field. It is all green and Red Sox Fans are more passionate than any other in baseball.
I realize that this is going to make Katie Ray angry at me. But Katie, I gotta do what I gotta do.
And this dialogue that baseball supports is one of the many subtle ways that men can bond with each other. Simple physical labor is another. In fact, sports in general let guys just fucking talk. It lets them speak in a language that women aren't necessarily a part of. Well, most women. And I am sure women do the exact same thing. When women talk about "feelings" men are equally as clueless.
I used to have a general belief about emotional interactions between men and women. It had to do with the types of communication that each gender used. Men, being the sort of logical and pragmatic beings are, are always looking for a solution. They are always asking "What is the problem? How can we fix it?" whereas I sometimes feel that women may want a discussion of what they feel they have a problem with, but ultimately, at that moment, are not looking for a solution. It has been my experience that this is a major source of conflict between men and women.
It is for this exact reason, this denial of an emotional dialogue, that I think men have a harder time getting over relationships than women. Now hold on, hold on, I know you are thinking that what I said is bullshit, but for the most part it is true. Think about all the times that a guy has broken up with you only to try and get back together with you again at a later date. Men are no good at moving on emotionally. They think "hey, the solution to getting over somebody is getting under somebody." but that rarely ever works.
I am getting tired of this subject. I'm hungover and I just figured out that I bought the wrong kind of Triscuits. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home