Sunday, January 22, 2006

What is the single greatest commodity that you have from your first moment of consciousness?
Integrity.
You can earn and lose respect.
You can earn money, power, blah blah blah.
But you can also get whatever it is you want and still not have any integrity.
On the other hand, you can be the poorest man in the world but still have your dignity.
Your word. How much is that worth? In today's day and age, probably not a whole lot. And I am unsure as to the value of integrity either (See Fear Factor Seasons 1-4). With the advent of reality TV I think a lot of people have seen themselves dealing away that commodity that was given to us from the moment we were born.
I live by my word, can be painfully honest, I don't lie, don't steal, don't cheat (on tests nor on partners). I am good to people even when they are not nice back. I don't know why I do it. I don't really think I believe in karma persay. I just think that we owe it to each other to get along. I wouldn't classify myself as an altruist. I just ....well I guess I have a soft spot for the underdog.
There were a lot of people growing up (in hindsight they weren't that wealthy) that seemed very wealthy and privileged. My family was by no means poor, but we certainly didn't have a lot of flash in the pan money. Anyway...it seems as if the first child that recognizes that separatism can breed power (i.e - we shouldn't play with this person b/c of A,B,C,) is the first child to assume some sort of power over other children. It's the same sad sack playground story, but it has always stuck with me. Because of a terrible experience in middle school I have developed an acute animosity towards wealth and privilege that is granted without earning it. To see someone granted wealth and influence on the basis of sheer nepotism turns my stomach. Acquired wealth through hard work and dedication is something I respect tremendously. And people who achieve it are frequently some of the most thankful and down to earth folks I have ever met. However, often their offspring are people that are acclimated to a certain level of....well...comfort. And they expect it all the time.
Until I worked in an environment that was as personally dehumanizing and denigrating as one of the bars I work in now, I never realized that the smallest things mean so much. Simple things like eye contact, please and thank you, these things. They seem so banal, but without them you are lowered to the status of a servant. I recognize that I work in the "service industry" but never have I left a place of employment feeling so "soul" tired. Physically tired ? Yes. Mentally tired ? Sure-sometimes. But Soul tired? Every time. And maybe it's something in me. Maybe I am unable to let go of the small boy who was so hurt so long ago. But I like that kid. I really do. I have a big soft spot for that kid who refused to be cruel. The kid who tried hard to like everyone equally and be as empathetic as possible. That kid is still in there and if there is a measure of kindness that I can dole out on a daily basis then I am not afraid to do it.
A man is measured in deeds. HIs word his greatest asset. His integrity his only innate god-given commodity. How he spends it is up to him. But to keep it is to see it grow exponentially in value.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon_M_Hayes said...

i love you very much, ben.

-maggie

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home