Thursday, April 27, 2006




Listening to Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes

Yawn. Stretch. *Eye-rub*. Really, what is better than sleep? Maybe one thing. Sex right when you wake up. That kind of wake-up-cuddle-which-eventually-turns-into-penetration-with-morning-wood kind of sex. But when without, sleep is pretty fucking good. I have got to tell you. I love it. I do it almost every night and sometimes during the day. I'm a big fan. I love it. I love the feel of clean sheets, the pull of the comforter, everything. Pillows - you name it - I am all over it.
Spoke to my best friend last night. He's in Chicago shooting some Industrial for a caner preventative. Kudos, Steve! That's awesome. It is always good to know that the people you care about are doing well. I didn't end up working last night. It was so cold that the bar where I work (an outside roof bar) sent me home eventually. I looked around for people to meet for a drink. There was no one to be found. I went home and went to sleep. After doing some reading. The place where I work ... It creates such a fragile bond between employee and guest. I have never been at a place where my morale can just dissipate so thoroughly and quickly. It is an act of willpower to maintain a positive attitude most of the time. And I am a positive person. Oh well.
My fantasy novel, Feast of Crows by George R.R. Martin, is failing to be as entertaining as the first three books he wrote in the series. It doesn't help that he has managed to kill off every sympathetic, moral, and likeable character in the book. Let me geek-out for a second. You see, by the end of the first book, every character that I liked and felt had some sort of justifiable moral perspective, albeit slightly naive, was killed off. But I held on. And then in the next book a couple of other characters came to the forefront. And in the third book the sons of the really likeable characters died. I guess I am just a sucker for a happy ending. But let me ask you a question? Would you want to read a book populated by all of the reprehensible, un-charismatic, villains that killed off all of your favorite characters? Of course not. It's a lot like if in Empire Strikes Back Han, Luke, Leia, Chewy, R-2 and C-3PO were all dead. And all you saw was the in-fighting between the Sith Lords. I mean -where is the fun in that? Okay - so the villains are a little charismatic. But still - why kill of Robb Stark? What up with that? And all of this Cersei and Jaime stuff - a little dry. A little boring. And all this shit with the Dornish Prince - gag! I mean what the fuck. It feels like to me that this guy is just thinking BOOK FRANCHISE at the expense of quality story-telling. Which leads me to a secondary point.
End things early rather than later. Best case in point- the BBC's Office. When the American Office took flight one of the many producers of the show was quoted as saying " I don't know why they stopped it. This Office could go on forever." Which is completely symptomatic of the problem with American television. The first narrative is always the strongest. It always will be. All the derivations that follow will be nothing but poor dilutions of that first main story. Example : Ross and Rachel - strong.



Joey and Rachel - weak.

Sam and Diane - strong.

Sam and Rebecca - weak.
See how it goes? We don't want to let it end. Seinfeld ended on time, just badly. In the BBC shows last three or four seasons and that is it. The way it should be. Go out strong. That's what I say. So I beg of you George R.R. Martin, end this shit soon and let all of these assholes get their comeuppance for killing off my favorite characters. And if you fucking touch Jon Snow I will personally come to your house and defecate in your cookware.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home